132 Visa – Business Talent (Permanent)

This visa allows you to establish a new or develop an existing business in Australia. It has two streams:

  1. Significant Business History stream: for high-calibre business owners or part-owners who want to do business in Australia.
  2. Venture Capital Entrepreneur stream: for people who have sourced venture capital funding from a member of the Australian Venture Capital Association Limited (AVCAL).

Significant Business History stream

You, your partner, or you and your partner combined must have all of the following: 
  • Total net assets of at least AUD $400,000 as the ownership interest in one or more qualifying businesses for least two of the four fiscal years immediately before you are invited to apply and if the qualifying business(es) was a publicly listed company, a shareholding of at least 10 per cent of the total issued capital
  • Net business and personal assets of at least AUD$1,500,000 that are legally acquired and can be transferred to Australia within 2 years after the visa is granted
  • A total annual turnover of at least AUD3,000,000 in one or more of your main businesses in at least 2 of the 4 fiscal years immediately before you are invited to apply
  • Ownership of at least:
  • 51% of a business with turnover of less than AUD$400,000 per year
  • 30% of a business with turnover of more than AUD$400,000 per year, or
  • 10% of a publicly listed company
  • An overall successful business career
  • No involvement in unacceptable business activities
  • A genuine desire to own and maintain a management role in a business in Australia.
  • You must also be younger than 55 years of age, although a state or territory can waive this requirement if your proposed business will be of exceptional economic benefit to the region where it will operate.


  • The Business Talent visa (subclass 132) is a permanent residence visa for business people who are nominated by an Australian state or territory government agency.
  • To be able to get this visa you need to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect and then be invited to apply.
  • You can be in or outside Australia when you apply and when the visa is decided.

You might be able to get this visa if

  • You are nominated by a state or territory government
  • You are invited to apply
  • You must meet certain character requirements. You must be prepared to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age. Do not arrange for police certificates until we ask you to.
  • This applies to you and all the dependent family members listed in your application, whether they are migrating or not.
  • Debts to the Australian Government

You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.