UK Partner Visa

You need a ‘family of a settled person’ visa if you want to stay (‘remain’) with a family member or partner (eg.  spouse) who’s living in the UK permanently and you’re:

  • Already in the UK
  • From outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland​

You can apply if you’re eligible and you need to:

  • Extend your existing ‘family of a settled person’ visa
  • Switch to a ‘family of a settled person’ visa

Your family member or partner can:

  • Be a British citizen
  • Have settled in the UK
  • Be your partner who has asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK
  • You may also be able to apply to remain with your child if they have lived in the UK for at least 7 years.
  • You may need to apply in a different way if:
  • You’re outside the UK
  • Your partner’s from the EEA or Switzerland
  • Your partner originally had a temporary visa as a worker
  • You’re the victim of domestic violence or your partner has died
  • You applied for a ‘family of a settled person’ visa before 9 July 2012
  • You want to reunite with a partner or parent who has asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK​

How long it will take to get your UK partner visa?

  • A decision will be made on your application within 8 weeks.
  • You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, eg:
  1. If your supporting documents need to be verified
  2. If you need to attend an interview
    – because of your personal circumstances (eg if you have a criminal conviction)

How long you can stay?

  • You can stay for 2 and a half years. You’ll be able to apply to extend again towards the end of that
  • You can also apply to settle permanently in the UK once you’re eligible for the UK partner Visa.

You can use your ‘family of a settled person’ visa to:

  • Work (you can’t work if you’re extending a visa to get married or to become civil partners)
  • Study
  • Bring some family members (‘dependants’)
  • You can’t usually get benefits or other public funds


Get A Free Consultation Today!

    *Collected information will be kept confidential and used for your immigration assessment.