188C Visa – Significant Investor Stream
You must make a complying investment of at least AUD $5,000,000 in any of the following options, in any proportion, and hold that investment continuously for at least 4 years:
- Commonwealth, state or territory government bonds
- Eligible managed funds – that are limited to investing in any or all of the following Australian assets:
- Infrastructure projects in Australia
- Cash held by Australian deposit-taking institutions
- Bonds issued by the Australian Government or a State or Territory government
- Bonds, equity, hybrids or other corporate debt in Australian companies and trusts listed on any Australian stock exchange
- Bonds or term deposits issued by Australian financial institutions
- Australian agribusiness
- Annuities issued by an Australian registered life company
- Loans secured by mortgages over the investments listed above
- Derivatives used for portfolio management and non-speculative purposes (which constitute no more than 20% of the total value of the managed fund)
- Other managed funds that invest in the investments listed above
- Direct investment into private Australian companies – in which you have an ownership interest. The company must operate a qualifying business.
- Income that you earn from your complying investment in Australia is subject to tax under Australian taxation law.
188C Visa Checklist
You must also have a genuine and realistic commitment to:
- Reside in the state or territory whose government agency nominated you
- Continue your business and investment activity in Australia after your complying investment matures
- Live in Australia for at least 160 days over 4 years while holding your provisional visa.
- You, your partner, or you and your partner combined must have net assets of at leastAUD$5,000,000 that are legally acquired, unencumbered, and available to be used to make the complying investment in Australia.
- You and your partner must not have been involved in unacceptable business or investment activities.
You, your partner and other family members aged at least 18 must agree not to bring any action against the Commonwealth for any loss relating to your complying investment.
The eligible new SIV investment may be of 3 categories –
- 60% balancing investment,
- 10% venture capital and
- 30% Small / Micro capital.