Partner Visa Australia

Visa 300 – The Prospective Marriage visa

It is for people who want to come to Australia to marry their prospective spouse.

It is a temporary visa for nine months. You must be outside Australia when you lodge your application and when the visa is granted. You can have the wedding in any country: the wedding does not need to be in Australia.

You might be able to get this visa if you intend to marry:

  • an Australian citizen
  • an Australian permanent resident
  • an eligible New Zealand citizen.

You must:

  • intend to marry and live as husband or wife with your prospective spouse
  • be sponsored by your prospective spouse
  • know your prospective spouse and have met in person
  • be the opposite sex to your prospective spouse (same-sex couples can apply for  a Partner visa  based on their de facto relationship)
  • meet age, health and character requirements.
  • Proof of intent to marry

Your application must include proof that you plan to marry your prospective spouse within nine months of being granted the visa.

If you plan to marry outside Australia, you can provide a letter from the person who will perform the wedding ceremony.

Visa 309 – Partner (Provisional) visa 
Visa 100 – Partner (Migrant) visa 

This visa allows the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to travel to and live in Australia.

You might be able to get this visa if you are married to or in a de facto relationship with an:

  • Australian citizen
  • Australian permanent resident
  • Eligible New Zealand citizen.

You must be outside Australia when you apply.

Married applicants

Your marriage must be valid under Australian law.  Underage, polygamous and same-sex marriages are not legal in Australia. The marriage could be valid under limited circumstances if one person is younger than 18 years of age. Same-sex couples can apply for this visa based on their de facto relationship.

De facto applicants

Your de facto relationship must have existed for at least 12 months immediately before you apply for this visa. Time spent dating does not count towards the length of your de facto relationship.

You might be granted a visa without having been in a de facto relationship for 12 months if:

  • You can demonstrate compelling and compassionate circumstances, such as having dependent children
  • Your partner has been granted a permanent humanitarian visa and your de facto relationship existed before it was issued, and you told us about the relationship before the humanitarian visa was granted
  • Your de facto relationship has been registered in Australia (this is not available in all states and territories).
  • You must be older than 18 years of age and not be related to your partner by family. This means you cannot be an ancestor or descendant of one another, or have a parent in common.

You can include the following people in your visa application:

  • Your dependent children
  • Other dependent relatives.
  • If you add a dependent child to your application, that child must meet the requirements for including family members in your application. The application needs to include documentary evidence of the child’s relationship to you.

Your dependent child must also be able to show that they meet Australia’s health and character requirements.

Get A Free Consultation Today!

    *Collected information will be kept confidential and used for your immigration assessment.